As homelessness continues to rise throughout Orange County, the Orange County Rescue Mission is in dire need of food supplies. The nonprofit organization is urgently seeking the community’s help to provide more than 33,600 canned and boxed food items, which will help to feed 400 local families in need each month for six months.
“Hunger is an epidemic that is spreading right here in our community,” says Jim Palmer, President of the Orange County Rescue Mission, who explains that the homeless population in Orange County continues to increase significantly year after year.
“Homelessness increased by 20 percent from 2013 to 2015, and the need continues to grow. Ensuring that these men, women and children have enough food to eat is a priority for all of us,” says Palmer.
Donated food items will be shared with local families through the Rescue Mission’s food box program, which launched over 20 years ago, and distributes more than 4,800 boxes of food annually to local families in need.
“We rely deeply on the support and generosity of the local community to ensure that these families and individuals do not go hungry,” Palmer explains. “By coming together as a community, we are confident that we can all play a vital role in ensuring these individuals not only survive, but overcome their circumstance.”
The Orange County Rescue Mission is asking the local community to donate items that can help provide six months’ worth of food boxes to families in need, including:
Canned Food Items:
- Meats (5 oz. cans) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Tuna (5 oz. cans) – Quantity Needed: 4,800
- Soup (15 oz. cans) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Vegetables (15 oz. cans) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Fruits (15 oz. cans) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Spaghetti Sauce (24 oz. jars) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Beans (15 oz. cans) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Peanut Butter (18 oz. jars) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Rice (6 oz. box) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Mashed Potatoes (6 oz. box) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
- Macaroni and Cheese (7.5 oz. box) – Quantity Needed: 4,800
- Dry Pasta (15 oz.) – Quantity Needed: 2,400
Food donations can be dropped off at the Orange County Rescue Mission’s Village of Hope, located at 1 Hope Drive in the city of Tustin, California. The donation warehouse is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
In addition, community members may order food items online and have them delivered directly to the Village of Hope at: OCRM Donation Warehouse, c/o Mike Martinez, 1 Hope Drivem Tustin, CA 92782.
To make a donation or inquire about volunteer opportunities with the Rescue Mission, please contact (714) 247-4320 or visit rescuemission.org.